Story Telling

When Baby-proofing Goes Wrong

When Baby Proofing Goes Wrong

When Baby Proofing Goes Wrong

When you’re a parent, one of your most important jobs is to keep your children safe. Sometimes this is easier said than done, when your toddler is at the age where he wants to leap off every object and literally climb up the walls, in his mad pursuit of imitating spider man.

Now if you’re like me, you’ve probably tried to baby-proof your living space, as much as you reasonably can, however as I found out when moving house, it can take the shortest of times for an accident to happen.

We moved here at the spur of the moment, in quite a rush and with little preparation. I’d just given birth to our twins, so we’d had very little opportunity to get into the property and make sure that it was safe, and the carpets were literally being laid, as we were moving in. Amongst the chaos of boxes, carpet cut-offs, screaming babies and furniture being dragged up the stairs, we’d completely over-looked the fact that our previous stair gates, didn’t fit within the door-frames of our new home.

The following morning, in a rare moment of calm amidst the dusty storm of organisation, I watched my then 2 year old, practice his jumping on the living room floor. Given that he’d only just learned how to walk a few months earlier, he was so proud of himself – so much so, that rather than walking into the kitchen as we’d discussed over and over again, he ran full speed through the door-way, tripped on the edge of the carpet, that met the tiled floor and landed square on his forehead.

I have never been so horrified in my life as I was at that moment. The colour drained from my face, as an ear splitting scream filled the room, and upon my boy’s forehead there blossomed an angry purplish bump about the size of a 50 pence piece. With the almighty crack that resounded as he hit the kitchen floor, I was sure that he would have a serious head injury, and panic set in quickly when I was given the advice to take him to A & E. Thankfully there was no harm done and aside from a bruise that didn’t fade for a good fortnight, he was left unscathed.

We both learned something that day. He learned that he should listen more carefully, when mummy tells him not to run in the house and I learned that there is no excuse for poor baby-proofing. Of course we can’t wrap our children up in cotton wool, they need to learn some of the perils of life for themselves, but we can also help avoid those injuries and accidents that are preventable, by being a little more vigilant on house-hold safety.

Have you slipped-up when it comes to baby-proofing? We all do it. What did you learn and would do differently in the future?

Filed under: Story Telling

by

Stacey's a Social Media Community Manager by day and a self-confessed Geek by night. With boy/girl twins and an older son, she's got mum hacks coming out of her ears. Likes: overpopulated book shelves and shiny things. Dislikes: wearing socks.